Based at Avonbourne Academies, Bournemouth | Offers support & training for schools and individuals on the theory and practice of Direct Instruction.
Welcome to the South Hub, based at Avonbourne Academies in Bournemouth, part of the National United Learning Academy Trust.
Our role at the South Hub is to provide quality teaching of Direct Instruction (DI) to the selected students in our school, who are enrolled onto the programmes. We also provide first class training and provision for schools wishing to implement Direct Instruction and offer a range of packages. Once schools are set up, we continue to support them on their DI journey.
We work closely with Kurt Engelmann and the NIFDI team in the United States in ensuring that what we deliver in the UK is of the highest quality and we are up to date with the latest practices.
Our DI journey began like so many others, being asked to teach something that was completely new. After our own training and reading around Siegfried Engelmann and his ‘Follow Through’ project, we embraced DI but still with an open mind. We were blown away by the positive impact DI had on our lowest attaining students. We share the passion he shows in helping the most disadvantaged children. More so, than the 40 plus years of extensively researched scientific evidence and comprehensive trials that have led us to the complete packages we deliver today and to close the gaps between the disadvantaged children and the advantaged children in our societies that drives us on.
Thank you for visiting.
DI South Hub
WHAT IS DIRECT INSTRUCTION?
Direct Instruction is a teaching method extensively tested and proven to turn all students into confident learners. Siegfried Engelmann, creator of Direct Instruction believed, and has proved that correctly applied DI can improve academic performance as well as behaviour. Direct Instruction gives schools a clear path to achieving and even surpassing Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP).
The Direct Instruction method is based on two core principles:
1. All students can learn when taught correctly, regardless
of past history and background.
2. All teachers can be successful, given effective teaching materials and presentation techniques. Every aspect of a Direct Instruction program is designed, tested, and proven to fulfil these essential principles.
• Explicit, with purposeful instruction designed to develop skilled and confident learners.
• Intensive, allowing teachers to cover more than a year’s worth of material in a single year.
• Consistent, allowing students to focus on the material they are learning.
• Interactive, with quick pacing and group responses that keep all students engaged.
to tackle new challenges.
Avonbourne Academies, Harewood Avenue, Bournemouth BH7 6NY
+44 (0)1202 309841 ext 218
We take privacy very seriously. We will not sell or distribute your details to third parties.